July 07, 2005

Terkenang Kawan-kawan Lama

I don't know why, deja vu maybe, but these few weeks, I have been thinking of old friends. So much so I guess the energy created had been pulling some to me. Let's start with when I was in KL 2 weeks ago. While there I had an sms from a friend giving me someone's house phone no. The number belongs to a former classmate (one of the 5T '76), AJ. I gave her a call, we talked for a long time. She was in the US for quite a number of years, she came back to Malaysia last November. She went to the UK to do her first degree, came back to work in Malaysia, went through a divorce and the next thing we knew of her was, she was in the US furthering her studies. She did find another love there, was working and staying in Florida and now has come back to Malaysia with her husband (a foriegner) and a 6 year old daughter. She said although she may be getting her green card this year, she may be back in Malaysia for good. She missed home so much. She said she was fed-up of working there in the US and now under semi retirement. She is doing some business of selling things from the US and gold ornament from Trengganu in KL. She also said that the reason for her to come back is that she wanted her daughter to go to school here in Malaysia. It puzzles me a bit there, because normally many want to have their children schooling overseas, but she is just the opposite. Different people with different opinion. I haven't seen her for more than 10 years.

2 days ago, another friend, NS, called me while I was driving home. She asked me about the reunion she was planning for the 5T '76. We talked about it when she was here a few months back. I told her the date should be fine with me and she just need to find the venue. I may be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, since my Kak Long will be coming back for a holiday and we can send her back to MMU the week-end planned for the reunion. I really hope it will happen and I will be able to see as many as possible. I haven't seen most of them for 29 years.

Yesterday, I met Richard. Richard was the HR manager at the first factory where I used to work. He was a dear friend as well. I used to turn to him when I had problems. Although he is a Chinese, he speaks fluent Malay, likes Malay food especially the ulams. He used to tease me as being a Melayu murtad because I don't eat petai, jering etc. He used to share his marrital problems with me too. I used to "kutuk" him last time when he told me his excuse for having an affair because he did not love his wife. He said that he married her because his mom liked her. "Nonsense Richard", I said, "It was meant for you to marry her. It was your destiny, how can you hurt her like that". You would not allow anyone to influence you to marry a girl if you didn't want to" I used to argue with him about this issue and he used to ask me on how I view polygamy. In the end I would tell him to be kind to his wife, take her and his 2 daughters for holidays etc. Told him to appreciate his wife because she is a good wife. I think he did realise what I said was true. I saw him with his wife yesterday. He said he is 62 now, retired and travelling between Sg Petani (his holiday house - his mom's house) and Penang. I like Richard, I felt easy talking to him, he is a friend. The last time I met him was when he was still working in Prai, I think 8 or 9 years ago, when I was finding someone to talk to about a career move.

Yesterday, I posted my sailor story, I haven't seen MT since 1978.

Semua ini bagaikan Mengundang Nostalgia. I'm sure it is a sign that I am getting older, when we were young relationship with friends and family seems to be loose. As we grow older, we want to get closer to the friends we may have lost contact with or relatives we haven't seen for years. Wouldn't it be easier if we have always kept in touch, at all times.....

14 comments:

lauryn said...

assalamualaikum.

stumbled upon your blog googling about.. err.. tak ingat dah.. hehe..

btw, is there any chance ur a tkcian?

AuntyN said...

Lauryn : waalaikumussalam, no I was not a tkcian. I was a STFian. Which one were you?

lauryn said...

tkcian :)
because u mentioned 5T, we also have the same.

nice blog, btw.

Anonymous said...

yr post made me reminisce of my ol times wif frens too. i actually prepared a post about frens too. tak sempat upload lagik. ye lar. tetiba terkenangkan dorg semua. u're right, how we wish we can keep in touch at all times.. kan..? rindu sesgt kat depa smua... =)

Ely said...

auntyN, betul tuh, i do think abt old times all the time. memang memory tuh tak lah banyak sgt but enough to say that i have not been reunioted with my best friend for abt 20 years?

the best part is that, my best friend's sister lives in LA and we continued the close friendship.

wish we could turn back the clock eh?

atenah said...

bagus ada blog ada YM ni senang skit nak keep in touch :)

anedra said...

I'd certainly like to get in touch with some of my old old friends. That would be really fun! Its not easy to kumpulkan everybody now, to have a reunion or something like that. Everyone's so scattered. My batch kat STF is trying to have one, I can't attend though..but kesian tengok committee tu, soo difficult to get everyone together! Yeah..it would certainly have been easier if everyone kept in touch dari dulu lagi...but that ain't always possible ian't it?

Leen AshBurn said...

AuntyN,

This is a (very much overdue) note to say THANK YOU for dropping over at my blog. I am awed.

WRT your entry - *sighs* I know what you mean. Have been thinking about some friends from schooltime too. Maybe it's time to meet again :)

Have a great weekend AuntyN! *hugs*

MA said...

Kak N : I know why suddenly all the nostalgia datang balik. Ini mesti penangan dengar lagu Paul Anka nih..hehehe....

Anonymous said...

Last year, me and friends initiated a reunion of old buddies after 30 odd years separation. When we met and talk about old times, brought back nostalgic memories from the past...

AuntyN said...

lauryn : thanks

lilheaven : bila nak posr entry tu?

ely : entahlah * sigh* anyway wait when I've got to meet my friends during the reunion.

tenah : how true, nasib baik ada blog and YM ye, kalau tidak tak jumpa dgn u kan..

anedra : itu laj kawan seluruh negara berselerak merata2, susah tu. :-)

leen : welcome, no problem at all. Have a great weekend to u too *hugs back*

MA : sebelum Paul Anka lagi dah tu dok ingat dah. Paul Anka tu tambah bagi ingat je tu...

Nong : Icam imagine, mesti tak tido malam bersembang tu hehehe

Blabarella said...

Yeah, I tend to get nostalgic too, about old friends and acquaintances. It's such a pity how really close friends can drift apart, despite being extremely close earlier on in life, especially school. A few attempts were made at reunions and stuff, but sad thing was - no one was the same as he or she was at that point of time, and then suddenly there was less in common and less to talk about and more silent moments. But of course, not all lah. Some reconciliations worked out brilliantly, but that doesn't happen too often.

AuntyN said...

True Blab, but so far the friend who I have been seeing are still very vocal. Sometimes we have problems of everyone trying to speak at the same time :-)

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! 2.5 case drive hard to win craps