November 20, 2005

Why Do I Need A Helper at Home?

My daughters are almost grown up. They are no longer toddlers. Can they wash their won clothes? They can. It is just putting them into the washing machine and later take the clothes to dry. Can they iron their own cloths, they can. In fact that’s what they are doing right now. My maid usually do the washing, folding and iron their school uniforms. When we had a lapse of time without maid, they ironed their own uniform as well. Kak Long is in the univ., so 1 person less to take care off. So why DO I need a maid?

Cooking. I do most of the cooking anyway. Bibik cooks only during the day time when to feed the girls and mak. But if we have no maid, can my girls cook? Well, they can do simple cooking. They can cook the rice, they can re-heat the food without burning the kitchen or hurt themselves. They can fry eggs on their own. They can do simple dishes on their own. They can cook their own maggi mee if they want to. Can I trust them to cook on their own, without an adult supervision?. So far I can, it was proven that they could do it when they were younger. When we had no maid, the time when bibik went home and we thought that we may not want another maid, my daughters reheat the food for berbuka during Ramadhan, cook the rice, and set the table. During the recent Ramadhan they were there to help out in the kitchen for the whole month. So, again WHY do I need a maid?

Cleaning of the house. This part the girls are a bit lazy. But they will not talk back if hubby instruct them to do anything. A little delayed reaction when I asked them to do but still will after the instruction gets a higher tone of voice. They are asked to clean the toilets too when necessary. Only that, there will be lots of work for me after office. My house will be a little topsy turvy, but not that bad. Hubby helps around the house. He does a lot of cleaning and sweeping too. I am not at all alone in doing the housework. In fact most of the tidy up of the house it had become hubby’s work eventhough we have a maid. So, why do I need a maid?

Am I just plain lazy or a show off? Without a maid my life would not be as easy as now. Lots of work are done by the maid. Without a maid, we have more privacy, much easier to go anywhere without having to consider whether she needs to stay home or follow us.

The real reason is because my mak is staying with us. When the girls go to school there will be no one left at home. Mak although not bedridden but she has difficulty to walk. We need to have someone at home all the time. She cannot cook for herself now. At her age she is prone to falling down and hurt herself. She has fallen a few times before. At one time at the cost of her left arm.

That is the main reason why I need to have a maid. As long as my mak is at home living with us, I need to have someone at home all the time. Unless I am prepared to stop work and be a full time housewife.

Bibik’s visa is expiring end November. She is going home. I am considering options, like getting another maid or getting a local person to come on a daily basis to help look after mak. Most likely we are opting for the second options. That way if we have to travel mak can always follow us.

Another thing for sure, I will later find myself having less time to be on the net. With the work and the housework, I may be too tired to even switch on the PC. I will try not to abandon the blog, but, if you all do not see me frequenting your blogs or updating mine, please forgive me. My family comes first before the blog. I will miss a lot of blogs and a lot of people. Will try my best still to keep in touch.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

it seems like you have been mulling abt this issue a lot. you do have your plate full, being a good wife, mother and daughter at the same time, in the same place

AuntyN said...

Adik oi, we will have to see OK, certain priorities must come first.

Atn : Betul. All in one place.

Anonymous said...

Kak N,

I know and understand your situation. :)

But to have the second option as solution, the most important thing, is to have Plan B, should the person somehow is not able to come due to her own reasons, sometimes. Not sure if this would fit, but to hire a nursemaid is better, though the cost is higher. ;)

P/S: Pun akan jarang berInternet sebab akan masuk project soon, takut nanti terposting ke mana mana..

Anonymous said...

tok sah laa suruh bibik balik. Nanti kak N sibuk tak dan nak update blog. Boring la saya tak baca blog kak N yg vogue nih..hehehhe.

Oh ya..bibik saya pon baru je balik bercuti dari Indonesia. Lega rasanya setelah 20 hari dia tiada. Nampak baju yg berbukit atas katil dah clear sejak2 bibik sampai semalam. Yeay...yeay...bibik bawak balik keropok udang dan keropok belinjau..yummy..sedap.

Anonymous said...

ur 2nd opt is the best idea.

blog when u hv spare time.blog is not a must. me is just a blog reader so i do not know how important is blogging to our life...hehehhee...btw, i like to read ur entry!

'Family First'

MA said...

Me must have a maid for obvious reasons. I need adult supervision for my kids when I am away. I need someone to pick up after my kids (while they are in training towards independence).

Most of all - I need a maid to help me keep the house in order. And help to jaga Atok's makan minum too.

Can die standing one woh...

NANI SHAHABUDIN said...

i pun kalau boleh nak maid jugak. alangkah bestnya kalau balik kerja tengok rumah bersih dah terurus...tenang fikiran.

AuntyN said...

audra : nursemaid? no lah, we will not go that far yet. This way I still can train my girls to be responsible adult later.

JB : nak volunteer ke? hehehe

norahelena : mana boring nye banyak lagi blog yang bagus kat blogspot ni, Thanks anyway. Will try my best to update as regular as possible.

cl : thanks. I know it is the best. I have to access candidates lah nanti.

MA : haah brood still need adlt supervision, my anak2 dara dah kena bersedia untuk jadi orang dewasa hehehe

anne : have the maid if you necessarily require one. To me if I would rather have the housework shared by the family than by having a maid.

aNIe said...

Betul kata auntyn tu...auntyn memang perlukan maid untuk jaga mak...& lady faham keadaan auntyn...tapi harap2 auntyn tak stop blogging...aper2 pun family comes first...

Bergen said...

Your mom's everything. Take care of her the best you can. It's too late to regret later.

Nor Razi said...

AN

You have been such a wonderfull wife and daughter in your family. Let your mom's mind in peace and take a goog care of her. You don't know what you miss till its gone. Let her knows she will always in your pray.

Anonymous said...

Ah..Plan B sounds better,but I think it is quite difficult to find one nowadays. Pray to god you'll get someone as reliable or even better than the present one. My late mum was lucky to have an indonesian maid helping us to care for her until she died.She treated her as if her own child. I like you phrase family comes first before everything.Definitely you are a good daughter,wife and mom!

Ely said...

i feel the real 'sore' and torture when i moved here, w/o a maid. but then, we do things the american way.

training the kids to do chores is the best way to help u clean the house.

but the part abt taking care of ur mom, hmmm, kalau duk rumah jaga mak pun rasa puashati jugak kan?

takper auntyN, trial and error, kalau tak larat, the maid can come to the rescue :)

anedra said...

this isnt an easy decision to make. but if u do decide to go without a maid, I think u'll be ok. Yr girls look like you can "harap" them! :) U'r right AuntyN, family always comes first!

Kak Teh said...

oooh, N I need ten pairs of hands - especially now - nak bernafas pun tak boleh! But can't afford it - especially here - rumah kecik and all!

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »